Diner en Blanc Coming to Cincinnati This Summer

Review: Kreimer’s Bier Haus West
March 23, 2012
Review: Velvet Smoke
March 28, 2012

As an unabashed Francophile, I keep up on what is going on in my favorite city– via blogs, friends in Paris, or occasionally coverage in a US publication, like the New York Times. I remembered reading about Diner en Blanc in the Times last year, as they were just about to launch a Diner in New York City.

Diner en Blanc, in case you’re not familiar, is an invitation-only soiree that is essentialy a “pop-up” dinner. People, dressed in white, congregate at a local landmark (in Paris, for example, Notre Dame; in New York, they used Battery Park). Each table has a “head”, who is responsible for organizing the table’s attendees, and each member of the table is responsible for bringing their own picnic dinner. Everything is white: the clothes, the linens, the plates. When they’re finished, they pack up their belongings and go– leaving the place as clean (or cleaner!) than when they got there.

Right now, Diner has just launched their Cincinnati Facebook page, touting this as the “must-attend” event of the summer with a limit of 1000 attendees.  No details on date or much less location– which is always announced last-minute, to prevent party-crashing and to build some suspense– but as I find out more information I’ll share it with you.

Here’s a shot from the Diner en Blanc at Les Invalides a few years ago, used under Creative Commons license from Guillaume.

9 Comments

1. Andy Sloan says:

I went with my parents to Paris in the summer of 2005 and we were outside the Cathedral de Notre Dame and there were a bunch of long tables all dressed in white filled with people eating and having a good time. I, 17 years old at the time, had no idea at the time and neither did my parents and in fact, until this article, I still had no idea what was going on. I am glad to know now and I can tell my parents.

2. Chef Allie Kat says:

Julie, I’m IN! I would LOVE to help organize this event! And I’ve never been to Paris ( ashamed I know) but I’m going in September. Help me know your favorite city with suggestions?

3. Pamela says:

How fun!!!! Can’t wait!! Just what a foodie city needs and loves!!

4. Very excited about this!

5. […] are new here, you might want to subscribe to the RSS feed for updates on this topic.Diner en Blanc, the imported French dinner party, has announced the date for 2012: September 15. They are taking reservations for the Phase 3 […]

6. Andrew Waber says:

Very cool. I imagine with Twitter though, it will be plenty easy to crash this event…just saying

7. Roger says:

P&G Gardens

8. Bonnie Speeg says:

The dramatic spontaneity is appealing. I wish Lytle Park had not been the setting. Too many “left out” feelings there right now. Not a total ‘people place’ unfortunately. The exclusivity there runs amuk.

• Julie says:

I ended up not attending due to illness (unfortunate, since I paid to go!). The choice was picturesque, definitely, but also problematic, particularly with the controversy around the Anna Louise Inn. I had heard initially that there was discussion re: Washington Park but, thankfully, someone nixed that.