Weekend Roundup: Kaze, Cheese & Valentine’s Day
This weekend has a few interesting things on tap, and I’m also going to share some Valentine’s Day ideas so you can plan ahead, and not have a case of last-minute panic. Me, I’ll be at Dixie Chili like I always am on Valentine’s. You guys can enjoy the prix fixe menus. As I get more, I’ll share them with you.
Saturday is the Big Cheese Festival at Jungle Jim’s Oscar Event Center. Tickets are $7, and include a wide selection of cheeses from around the United States as well as charcuterie. Sarah Kaufman, a Guinness World Record-holding cheese carver will be carving and Jason Sobocinski, from the Food Network, will also be there. Maybe I’ll see you there.
Note: just found out this is sold out. Sorry!
This week and through Saturday, Kaze celebrates its one year anniversary with a theme of Tokyo Nights. From Kaze: A special $19 three-course prix fixe menu will be offered all week, showcasing the diversity of Kaze’s offerings. Already well known for their sushi, the prix fixe menu offers a chance to sampleKaze’s savory dishes, such as sweet potato gnocchi and king salmon. On Saturday, February 8, 2014, Kaze will host an anniversary dance party from 10:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m., featuring DJ duo Joanie Loves Chachi, giveaways (including lunch for a year, and dinners for two), and limited edition Kaze swag all night long.
From Tuesday, February 4, through Saturday, February 8, 2014, Kaze’s cocktail lounge will host a happy hour from 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. featuring $5 cocktails, and half-off all sushi. See link: https://www.facebook.
Metropole has a really interesting prix fixe menu. Price is based on your main course:
- BURNT CARROT SALAD;Avocado, pickled onion, feta, cilantro & toasted pumpkin seeds
- OYSTER ‘PAN first ROAST’; leeks, salsify, white wine & crème fraiche
- MIXED LETTUCE SALAD; pickled eggplant, cucumber, mint & parmigiano
- CURED YELLOWTAIL JACK; cara cara orange, rutabaga & egg yolk ‘bottarga’
- VEAL BACON ‘TORTELLINI’; smoked apple broth, shaved radish & seared lobster cake
- YEASTED ‘EVERYTHING’ PANCAKE (56) ; grilled endive, salt baked celery root & slow roasted tomatoes
- PAN ROASTED SEA SCALLOPS (70) ; lardo, oak broth & preserved lemon potatoes
- STRING ROASTED CHICKEN (65) ;charred leek, ash baked onions & spinach dumplings
- GRILLED NY STRIP (72) ;melted taleggio, maitake mushrooms, tarragon & blood orange citronette
- EIGHT LAYER CHOCOLATE CAKE; kumquat, chili & caramel
- PASSION FRUIT CHEESECAKE; strawberry, polenta & amaretto
Guests can call Metropole at 513.578.6660 for reservations